Update on upcoming readings

Greetings!

It's been a little while since I've posted here. I visited my parents at my mom's place in NB, I had a birthday, the collective that I founded has a name (MXTP_CLTRS), and I confirmed some gigs! My goal is 20 readings this year, to promote Mingus Lullaby and we're getting there!

Feb 13, Toronto Urban Book Expo (North York Central Library)
Mar 1, Burdock (w/MXTP_CLTRS) Special guests Jennifer Hossein and Spencer Butt
Mar 21, Common Readings
Apr ? (w/MXTP_CLTRS) TBA (EDIT: Apr 19, Hirut) - w/ Pat Connors, others
Apr 28, Scarborough Arts
April 30, May Day Committee Celebration (As part of MayWorks)
May 18, Sawdust Readings (Ottawa)
May 22, Words and Music (w/MXTP_CLTRS) (Montreal)
May ?, Workshop (NB) (EDIT: May 25, Taymouth Community Centre)
May 31, Art Bar
Sep 2, Brant Rant (Brantford)
Jan 11 2017, Brockton Writers

That's ten (EDIT actually 11(EDIT 12 confirmed!)) confirmed, two that I have yet to confirm and at least eight more gigs to book. It's getting harder (with multiple literary series closing their doors in Toronto and newer series becoming more and more exclusionary) to book readings. But thanks to help from others, I'm doing okay. Still no word on an official book launch, but the books have (apparently) arrived. I'm still waiting on my 10 copies and advance -- we shall see them when they appear.

One pleasant surprise is that the collective that I pieced together with Christina for a one off event actually has opened doors for me to promote my book. Most bars wouldn't book a straight poetry event, but add a DJ and performance artists and suddenly venues show interest. Now our biggest issue is finding spaces large enough for us to perform -- it's great to have some choice in where we gig!

I'm also happy that the gigs that I've booked in Toronto are all over the place. I rarely go there -- but I always enjoy myself in Scarborough. This week will be my first time reading in North York. The unconfirmed  gig in April is for a space in the east end of Toronto. Slowly but surely things are expanding. Next, I definitely want to read in Peterborough, some other small Ontario towns and the West Coast.

I'll know that I've finished promoting this book when I've shared it from BC to NYC. That's the goal.

Take care.
Peace and Respect.

Popular Posts